Virtual Private Server Web Hosting
Virtual Private Server Web HostingSo, you’re in the market for the best virtual private server web hosting solution to fuel your small to medium sized business online needs however you are not sure what to look for? You have been reading a bunch of virtual server hosting reviews and the best you can gather is that every company thinks they have the best virtual private server web hosting solution on the market? Well, we aren’t going to do that. Instead we are going to talk about the basic components of a VPS plan, being; RAM, Disk Space, Bandwidth, CPU Cores, operating systems and IP addresses.
Virtual Servers WikiConsider this section your virtual server wiki covering the basics of your VPS plan. Whether you are going to utilize a managed virtual private server or an unmanaged virtual private server, you will have to determine how much RAM, Disk Space, Bandwidth and CPU cores you need. What are they? Here is a break down:
- RAM: RAM, or Random Access Memory, is a form of computing memory. In terms of virtual server hosting, the amount of RAM you choose to utilize will determine how fast your VPS runs when you are utilizing multiple applications/programs. Think about RAM in terms of operating speed. Obviously, the more RAM you apply to your virtual server hosting scenario, the quicker your VPS will operate.
- Disk Space: Disk Space, is another form of computing memory however unlike RAM, the amount of disk space you choose will be utilized to operate the data on your web pages. Your disk space will determine how much data (images, text, video, audio etc.) you can effectively run on your web pages.
- Bandwidth: If disk space is a storage unit for data on your Cloud hosting web pages, then bandwidth is the speed with which that data is transferred from one point to another. The amount of bandwidth you select for your Windows virtual private servers or Linux virtual private servers will determine how fast your data is transferred and seen by a viewing party. The more bandwidth your virtual private server has, the quicker your data will be transferred.
- CPU Cores: Your body has a brain that sends commands to various parts of your body instructing it to do certain actions. The flick of a finger, the involuntary gulp of air your lungs take in, the itch on your big toe, all of this is driven and commanded by the brain. Well, in terms of web hosting – in terms of your virtual private server web hosting – CPU cores are your VPS’s brain. The CPU core commands action, gives instructions and runs the entire show. Now unlike your brain, you can have more than one CPU cores. It goes without saying but the more CPU cores your server has, the more efficiently it performs.
VPS Operating SystemsWith the guts of your VPS in hand, now it is time to determine what type of VPS you want to run. Do you want to run a Windows VPS or a Linux VPS? Do you know the operating system’s associated with both? Do you know how to operate within the framework of Linux or only Windows? More importantly, does your team know how to operate a Linux OS or a Windows OS? These are questions you are going to have to answer. Within that context, what are some of the Linux and Windows OS templates you can choose to your Microsoft Virtual server, Amazon Virtual server or Solar VPS Cloud hosting server?
- Linux: Linux is an open source operating system. This means the code behind the OS comes from every day people, web developers and coders working to make the OS better on a daily basis. This also means that although you might be able to fix an issue yourself or find a patch on a community board, you won’t be getting normal fixes, patches and updates from a guiding corporation. Essentially Linux demands experience and knowledge. Some OS templates for Linux VPS’s are: Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, CentOS, Debian etc. There are other Linux OS’s, but the ones mentioned are the most popular.
- Windows: Unlike Linux, Microsoft Virtual Server hosting provided by Microsoft, is not open source. Due to this, all of the Windows updates, fixes, patches will come directly from Windows and Microsoft. As you might have guessed already, while this might be a slower process, it is also more dependable. Some Windows OS templates are: Windows 2008, Windows 2008 R2, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 2003. Like Linux OS’s, the ones mentioned here are the most popular OS’s for Microsoft virtual server hosting.